What we do
We provide information, advice and a wide range of specialist support services designed to help adult Carers continue in their caring role for as long as they choose and reduce the impact the caring role can have on their own health and wellbeing.
We work directly with individual Carers to discuss their concerns and needs, and design a tailored personalised support package.
Support available includes:
- Access to a specialist staff member with 1-2-1 or group based support
- Help to take a break from your caring responsibilities and do something for yourself
- Access to online support including our Carers’ Community Network
- Access to a 24 hour CHAT Line delivered by other Carers
- Access to peer support
- Providing information, advice and guidance on a variety of topics
- Support to access community, health and wellbeing services
- Access to activities, training and much more
- Opportunities to volunteer, make friends and provide support for others
- Providing opportunities to volunteer as a ‘Friend of Bury Carers'
- Access to a regular Bury Carers’ Hub magazine
- Additional support for the person who is being cared for (eg Respite Care)
Who is a Carer?
A Carer is someone who provides unpaid care, for a few hours a day or round the clock, to a friend or relative who could not manage without their support. The care they give may be due to age, illness, disability, mental health problems, or substance misuse.
Carers’ lives are often complex - many have other commitments as well as their caring role, such as work or school, and sometimes they live with the person they care for or sometimes they call in to help. These situations can create challenges which may impact on Carers’ financial or educational opportunities, as well as their own health and wellbeing.
Carers sometimes do not realise they are a ‘Carer’ and feel they are simply being kind, by looking after a family member or friend. They provide huge benefits to the person they care for, as well as wider benefits to the NHS, Social workers and society as a whole, by providing a free, essential support service.
The coffee and chat is the highlight of my week.
Thank you for your kind words and support.