We provide support to the Deaf Community in Lancashire.
Hi, my name is Sue Gardam and I am the Deaf Support Link Worker. I have worked for n-compass for 2 years and cover the whole of Lancashire.
This role has 3 main areas of responsibility:
- To visit culturally deaf adults and work with them to overcome communication barriers that they face when trying to access services, which are having a negative effect on their wellbeing.
- To work with services and professionals to share with them the information that they need regarding the communication needs of the deaf community.
- To create and establish effective pathways into services that are reliable and sustainable, and share this information with professionals and the deaf community.
I am not an interpreter and this is not an interpreter service. People can be referred into the service if they are BSL users and are facing barriers to access services such as health, social services, housing etc., or barriers which they are unable to overcome and are having a negative affect on their wellbeing.
Professionals can refer via n-compass Services Access team on Tel 03450138208 or email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Culturally deaf individuals who are unable to access the services they need to maintain their wellbeing can attend one of the drop ins facilitated by myself or a volunteer. There are currently two drop ins, with plans to set up more.
- Plungington Community Centre, Preston every 2nd Friday in the month.
- St. Annes YMCA, every 4th Thursday in the month.
Culturally deaf BSL users can visit without an appointment to self refer.